Thursday, February 19, 2009

Organizing the Food Cupboards

This started because I was almost positive that I bought bay leaves awhile back. I had searched for them before, but didn't find them. I decided today to clean out the two food cupboards in the kitchen just to be certain the bottle wasn't hiding somewhere. Let's just say I'm glad the bay leaves were MIA because these cupboards really needed some cleaning. First was the pantry like cupboard- we have a large pantry off the laundry area next to the kitchen, but I like to keep frequently used items close by.

BEFORE:


Yipes...I could barely even see what I had in here. AND I realized I had multiple bags of chocolate chips and walnuts open. Oops. So I condensed those, threw out old items, and put the seldom used items back in the pantry. Cleaned out the interiors (I did the exterior yesterday :) ) and put the food back in. Voila!

AFTER:


Next was the spice/oil cupboard. Um yeah...this has NEVER been organized, but I was determined to make it so today. Again, everything came down, refilled some of the spice jars on my counter, cleaned it out and put everything back. I really wanted some sort of riser so the spices in the back didn't get lost or forgotten, but I'm really trying to not spend any money right now. But imagine my excitement when I remembered my husband had some old desk organizers in the basement. Perfect!!


BEFORE:

AFTER:

2 comments:

  1. Just happened to stumble across this entry today so it's a tad late, but in case you're near a Dollar General, they have the spice racks for $3 and the inside door mount holder for foil and cling wrap for $2. I had looked everywhere for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my spices in the cabinets above the stove too and find them hard to reach. A solution I found was buying two clear plastic tubs to fit in each side. I put the spices in there and then just pull the tubs down to the countertop, pull out the spice container I need, and put the tubs back in the cabinets. It keeps everything from falling over and getting pushed to the back up there. Plus, I can now easily sort and find the spice I need while I am cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin