Sunday, September 6, 2009

Cousin Cookout Wrap Up

Well, party #1 for the weekend was a huge success! Since it didn't start until 4pm, we had plenty of time on Saturday to prepare for our guests. Carl spent the morning finishing up all the window casings- they are finally D-O-N-E! (I'll post a final recap on that later) Then he took care of everything outside. I spent my time prepping in the kitchen and cleaning the house. We wrapped everything up in the perfect amount of time.

I made both my spaghetti salad and broccoli slaw on Friday night, so those were already done. But I chopped, diced, sliced and poured everything else on Saturday morning. The burger toppings, dog toppings, strawberries, pound cake, etc. were all laid on their plates, covered with saran wrap and placed in the fridge. This way all I had to do before everyone arrived was set them out and uncover them.



I made a game time decision- typical of me when I'm down to the wire and my big Italian family genes kick in, and I decide I don't have enough food (even though I usually have 3 times too much!). I made a quick fruit bowl with a watermelon and grapes. I just made it look a little nicer by balling the melon- and then hollowing out a "bowl." I mixed in the grapes, and ta da! Fancy fruit bowl.



So before I get myself ready, everything is waiting in the fridge, and all my serving pieces are waiting on the counter. The drink station is set up so all I have to do is pour in the ingredients.



We started grilling once everyone arrived, and the flingo tournament began. I set out dessert, and that was pretty much the end of my "work" for the night. The strawberry shortcake bar was the perfect set up as the leftovers were easily put away rather than wasted. Oh...and another last minute decision- chocolate covered strawberries. Always a good move! Once that was all set up, I was able to just relax and enjoy!


Hopefully you are enjoying your holiday weekend as well!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you are def. the hostess with the mostess for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um....yum!!!! Your chocolate covered strawberries with the cool whip look delicous to this pregnant lady!!! Almost jumped through my screen. Looks like a great spread! I married into an Italian family so I can relate to the more food than you really need concept. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fruit bowl! Super cute and easy.

    ReplyDelete

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin