I saw the broiled tomato and basil spaghetti recipe in a Real Simple magazine, but knew I needed to beef...er chicken it up. So I used a Parmesan Crusted Chicken to make a lighter version of Chicken Parmigiana. Ahh...maaaa.....gosh! Delish!!!
Parm Crusted Chicken:
4 large chicken breasts
3 eggs, beaten (I used egg whites as I had used the yolks to make mayonnaise)
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 cup finely grated Pecorino cheese (or Parmesan)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
fresh lemon to serve
- Place a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of cling-wrap and thin out with a rolling pin or mallet.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the cheese, salt and paprika. Place this in a shallow, wide bowl.
- Place the beaten eggs in a similar bowl (big enough to dunk the chicken into).
- To coat the chicken, dunk it first into the egg mixture and then place into the crumbs, coating the chicken well and patting down the crumbs.
- Place the chicken in the frying pan and allow to fry for 2 minutes per side until the crumbs are crispy and the chicken is cooked through but still moist.
- Serve hot with fresh lemon.
Broiled Cheesy Tomatoes over Basil Spaghetti:
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 4 thick slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more, shaved for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, warm the oil with the garlic and red pepper over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic oil, basil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve topped with the tomatoes, additional basil, and shaved Parmesan.