Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Going GREEN!

Not that kind of green. I mean literally green. I am always so hesitant to buy art and decor for fear that I'm not going to like it shortly after buying it. I have a fear of commitment. BUT, the one kind of decor I love love love is live art- plants! I get my plant affection from my parents who have a jungle of sorts in their living room as shown below. The only pictures I had were from our wedding since I got ready at my parents' house. :)



So I was lucky that my mom grew two of my prized possessions for me from tiny leaves of her own plants. She will literally pull a leaf off a plant and grow it a cup of water until it produces roots and can be transplanted into a pot with dirt.

Mother-in-law's Tongue:


Christmas Cactus:




I just added to my collection this weekend with this new beauty.





Not only does it bring life to the room, but it's a great way to decorate without breaking the bank! I'll break it down for you. Yes...I realize my two free plants help the cause, but the pots are usually the expensive part anyway!

Mother-in-law tongue:
Plant: Free
Dirt: $1.00
Pot: $33 at Lowe's*

Christmas Cactus:
Plant: Free
Dirt $.50
Pot: $29 at Lowe's*

Tropical Palm:
Plant: $13 at Kroger
Dirt: $.50
Pot: $27 at Lowes*
Pot Dish: $13 at Lowe's*

*I also had a $10 off coupon for Lowe's bringing the total price down!


Total cost for all 3 plants = $107

No comments:

Post a Comment

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin