Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Freezer Meals: Week 4


Freezer Meals are getting extended a touch. I wanted to work around my grocery shopping trip, so I split this week up. As I had mentioned before, with Thanksgiving, I wanted to keep the cooking light. I'll have one more round of them, at least. Carl says I should just cook like this all the time. HA! If you want to see Weeks 1, 2 & 3, go here and here.

Easy Beef Enchiladas- Click here for recipe- Do all the steps before baking. I put mine in the aluminum tins (6 enchiladas to a tin), cover and freeze. Thaw overnight in fridge and bake as stated in recipe.


Chicken Pot Pie (I tripled the recipe to make 3 pies)

  • 2 Breasts of chicken- cooked in 1 1/2c chicken broth and shredded
  • 2 pie crusts
  • 1 bag of frozen vegetables of your liking (I like carrots, peas, green beans and corn)
  • 5 Tbsp butter
  • 1/3 c Flour
  • 1 c Milk or Half & Half if you want it to be richer
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
Melt butter in large skillet and mix in flour, stirring constantly until you have a thick sauce. Pour in milk, salt and pepper. Add in the chicken and vegetables and stir to blend. Layer one pie crust in a pie dish, pour in the chicken mixture, cover with the other pie crust and pinch edges to seal. Cut the top to allow for steam to escape while cooking. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, but to freeze-stop before the baking step, flash freeze for 30 minutes, cover with foil and put back in freezer. When you are ready to eat it, thaw overnight and bake as directed.


Mashed Potatoes (4-2 serving bags worth)- Do I really need a recipe? I think I did like 10 smallish russet potatoes and threw in some butter, milk, salt and pepper. I froze them in airtight bags at about 2 servings per bag. I figure it's an easy side for the meatballs or just whenever I'm craving taters. I love love love mashed potatoes :)


Week 4: DONE! All I have left on my list is Classic Beef Stew and Cottage Pie. I'm really looking forward to eating the beef stew now, so that will be happening sooner rather than later :)

Are you still with me on this? Have any other great freezer recipes? Please do share!

1 comment:

  1. You're AMAZING!
    You've inspired me to stop being so lazy around uni exams when we usually eat asian noodles or buy dinner! Next time around I will definitely be prepping meals in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin