Sunday, November 13, 2011

DIY Rustic Thanksigiving Sign



How cute is my little sign? Cute huh? After browsing around Pinterest and seeing tons of cute little holiday signs, I decided I needed to make my own. I especially decided I would be making it since they can cost upwards of $70. $70. I am not even kidding. I made mine for less than $17. I say less than because I have more supplies than I really need, and let's just say I have enough to make more signs :)

What you need:
  • A piece of plywood, cut to 18in x 11 1/4in
  • Antique White Paint
  • Colored paint of your choice
  • A foam brush
  • Small paint brushes
  • Carbon Paper


1. Give the plywood a light sanding, wipe off dust

2. Using the foam brush, paint the wood with the Antique White paint. Use long strokes and if you want the rustic look, don't worry about complete coverage. Allow that to dry for one hour.

3. Decide on a saying, font and placement of your saying. I chose "be Thankful." The "be" is Baskerville, font size 200. The "Thankful" is Edwardian Script, font size 288. You can easily download different fonts at websites like www.dafont.com.

4. Print the saying out, and cut it down to the word. It doesn't have to be perfect, just cut off the major excess.

5. Tape the saying on your board as you want it, (I just did one word at a time) and place the carbon paper, carbon facing down, under your piece of paper. Trace the outline of your word.

6. Remove the carbon paper, and paint your traced word.

7. Repeat steps 4-6 until your words are complete.

8. Give your words at least 2 coats of paint to really have full coverage.






I haven't given it permanent home yet, but I'm having fun trying it out in new spots around the house! I'll have to figure out where it will go before Saturday's Mock Thanksgiving though! So that's it. Are you going to make your own sign? Are you following my little sign's advice? Be thankful :)


I'm linking up at the....

Dare to DIY
The DIY Show Off

7 comments:

  1. I really like the finish of the sign. Its beautifully weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO COOL! I love the placement of the words and the colors. Wow! I'm totally blown away. I'm always scared to try to make my own signs, isn't that silly?

    Thanks so much for linking up to Dare to DIY! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable! You did a great job painting it; I would have a heck of a time staying in the lines. =)
    Thanks for stopping by Corner of Main

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! Pinning this right now!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! The two fonts look really nice with each other too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done! Love the colors and the font choices.. very nice!! (and that pear shaped gourd is adorable.)

    ReplyDelete

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin