Cheesy Bell Pepper & Herb Quiche
original recipe from Woman's Day
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust or your own 9 inch crust
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream, reduced fat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Fit the pie crust into and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate; fold the edge of dough underneath itself to create a thicker 1/2-inch border that rests on the lip of the plate and crimp as desired. Using a fork, prick the bottom of the crust. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove, let cool slightly and reduce oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, nutmeg, and salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and Cheddar.
- Scatter the onion–bell pepper mixture over the bottom of the crust. Pour the egg mixture on top and bake until set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with a salad, if desired.