Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday: New Baby Visit

Tonight we were able to meet our very good friends’ new baby. While most people are happy to shower a new baby with cute doodads, I try to focus on the parents. I mean, they are the sleep deprived ones whose world has just been turned upside down. Granted, it’s a good upside down, but upside down nonetheless. (upside down…one more for good measure) So what are my tips for meeting a new baby and the newly made parents? I'm definitely not a pro, seeing as I have no actual experience as a parent, however, I do have 13 nieces and nephews, plus one on the way. Here are just some things I've learned over my last 13 years as an aunt.

1. If you are going to visit at their house, be sure not to stay too long. Nothing is worse than having to shoo a guest, and keep in mind, they are excited, but exhausted.


2. Not only are they tired, but they are probably hungry. I hate cooking after I get home from a long day at work, and I can only imagine what a new parents’ “work day” feels like. You don’t have to be a master cook to help- you can always just stop and pick something up, however, I prefer to make something instead. I have a few tips on how to best tackle this as well.


a. Make the food at YOUR house if possible. This way, it’s your mess to clean up, not theirs. Just warm it up at their house.

b. If you are feeling generous, make an extra large batch, they’ll appreciate the leftovers.

c. Keep in mind their likes and dislikes. If you are nervous, just ask what things they usually eat, or what they are in the mood for. Bringing fish to a chicken loving mom will still be appreciated, but she might not be up for trying new things at this stage in her life.

d. Choosing the menu is especially important if the mom is nursing. Often times, certain foods don’t settle well with new babies. Asking is key.


3. With all the flu scares going around, and just germs in general, make sure to wash your hands and arms (if they are exposed) before holding the baby. I’m sure the new mom will appreciate the consideration!


4. Remember that new babies have crazy schedules. So be certain to match your time of arrival with something that works for the parents.


So, those are my few little tips, here is what I packed up for new Baby Jack & Parents:

  • Dinner- Sweet & Sour Chicken with Vegetables and Rice (I shared this recipe with them awhile back and it is one of their FAVORITES!) I have also included paper plates- less dishes for them!
  • I packed the food in Chinese take out boxes and my insulated tote to keep everything warm for the quick drive over. The boxes and small jar of sauce went in my small lunch size cooler to keep them warm.
  • Present for Baby Jack (of course…)
  • A couple Hollywood Trash magazines for Mom (I had to check and make sure to get some she didn't have....they are her vice ;) )

It was so great to meet him! He is a doll. And the parents are doing swell!! Hopefully we helped make their night a little easier. Do you have any tips of what to do when visiting new parents? I'm sure the moms would love to chime in here!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome package....Honestly - this would help majorly! You are so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, especially packing the paper plates!

    ReplyDelete

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin