Sunday, April 18, 2010

Simple Spring Birthday Party Recap

You know, I do enjoy being the hostess. I love entertaining. And you know other people realize it when they ask you to host a party. And you know just how much they realize it when they are willing to drive the distance to allow it. You see, all my in-laws live within about 5 minutes of each other. Even most of the extended parts of the family live within about 10 minutes. They are good people. They like to stay close. But the idea that Carl and I live about 30 minutes away from them...well I'll just say we don't get the "pop-ins."

Normally the gathering place for my in-laws is Carl's parents' house, but since we were celebrating his mom's birthday, we wanted to take the pressure off her, so alas, I got to host! Yay! It was a simple party, but anytime I get to plan, I'll take the offer.

Menu:
Pizza (Hawaiian, requested by the birthday girl)
Salad Bar (a la Molly)
  • Romaine
  • Dried Cherries
  • Blue Cheese
  • Chopped Walnuts
  • Green Pepper
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Raspberry Walnut or Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing
Cake & Ice Cream
Classic Party Punch (always gets rave reviews!)
Assorted Soda

So I did the grocery shopping and some light cleaning on Friday night. Then, on Saturday, we did major cleaning and no area was left untouched. Luckily, I have a stellar husband, because my boss surprised me with some urgent work, and Carl was more than happy to lend an extra hand!

A few tips when it comes to hosting (some are repeats, but just bare with me)
  • Prepping is key- do any possible chopping, , mixing or setting up that can done ahead of time
  • Make a time line- it'll only take a few minutes, and can help you plan your day(s)
  • Keep your guests in mind- kids coming? Have games ready! (We rely on our Wii)
  • Fresh Flowers! Keep decor simple to save money and stress, but trust me, fresh flowers go a LONG way! Everyone notices them, and it brings a huge pop to the table
  • Remember, you might be the host(ess), but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself! When you are having fun, your guests will too :)

A simple tablescape pops with fresh tulips. Tulips scream Spring! I'm also a big fan of candles for dinner parties.

The cheese board was replaced with the cake....forgot to take the picture after it was in place.
A simple pizza party can easily be jazzed up with a fresh salad. Skip the pricey pizza parlor salad and make your own gourmet side! It'll be cheaper, fresher and tailored just the way you like it! Presentation is key :) Oh and I got to use all my birthday stuff from Carl- the tropical, floral plates & napkins and my cups are in the next picture.

My standard drink station. Don't forget the limes in the ramekin for the Corona in the fridge though!

So that's it. A nice and simple birthday party. Clean up was done in a jif and we were able to crash on the couch. Now it's time to gear up for busy day of the weekend two! Enjoy your Sunday everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Molly gets just a touch happier when you comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin