Normally the gathering place for my in-laws is Carl's parents' house, but since we were celebrating his mom's birthday, we wanted to take the pressure off her, so alas, I got to host! Yay! It was a simple party, but anytime I get to plan, I'll take the offer.
Pizza (Hawaiian, requested by the birthday girl)
Salad Bar (a la Molly)
- Dried Cherries
- Blue Cheese
- Chopped Walnuts
- Green Pepper
- Grape Tomatoes
- Raspberry Walnut or Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing
Classic Party Punch (always gets rave reviews!)
So I did the grocery shopping and some light cleaning on Friday night. Then, on Saturday, we did major cleaning and no area was left untouched. Luckily, I have a stellar husband, because my boss surprised me with some urgent work, and Carl was more than happy to lend an extra hand!
A few tips when it comes to hosting (some are repeats, but just bare with me)
- Prepping is key- do any possible chopping, , mixing or setting up that can done ahead of time
- Make a time line- it'll only take a few minutes, and can help you plan your day(s)
- Keep your guests in mind- kids coming? Have games ready! (We rely on our Wii)
- Fresh Flowers! Keep decor simple to save money and stress, but trust me, fresh flowers go a LONG way! Everyone notices them, and it brings a huge pop to the table
- Remember, you might be the host(ess), but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself! When you are having fun, your guests will too :)
A simple tablescape pops with fresh tulips. Tulips scream Spring! I'm also a big fan of candles for dinner parties.
The cheese board was replaced with the cake....forgot to take the picture after it was in place.
A simple pizza party can easily be jazzed up with a fresh salad. Skip the pricey pizza parlor salad and make your own gourmet side! It'll be cheaper, fresher and tailored just the way you like it! Presentation is key :) Oh and I got to use all my birthday stuff from Carl- the tropical, floral plates & napkins and my cups are in the next picture.
My standard drink station. Don't forget the limes in the ramekin for the Corona in the fridge though!
So that's it. A nice and simple birthday party. Clean up was done in a jif and we were able to crash on the couch. Now it's time to gear up for busy day of the weekend two! Enjoy your Sunday everyone :)