Here it is when we took ownership before any work had been done.
One of our biggest tasks was installing and refinishing the hardwood floors. The family room already had wood floors, but to make sure they looked uniform with the new ones, we refinished them. Ugh. I don't ever really want to have to do that again for the record. Phase one complete. New paint color and the floors were sanded down.
Then, we replaced the windows (as we did with the rest of the house). Unfortunately, I've married a man with allergies, and by his mother's suggestion, I opted for the blinds between the glass. I'm not 100% thrilled with the outcome, but I do like the fact that we can darken the room and I never have to clean the blinds! Plus, Carl built window casings for every window in the house, and you can see the change in this photo. This is pretty much how the room has looked for about 18 months or so with a few slight changes here and there. It's definitely the room that gets used the most, so I was very anxious to get it finished!
So now, finally, drum roll please! Here it is, about 95% finished, in all it's glory, er maybe it's my glory? I'm pretty excited about it either way.
Here is the breakdown:
- Painted the walls: Wool Coat by Ace- Flat
- Refinished the wood floors: Rented equipment from HD and did the labor ourselves
- Installed new windows & custom window casings: All done ourselves, with my father-in-law
- Installed surround sound speakers in the ceiling
- Couch, Chair, Rug & Lamps- Pottery Barn
- Throws and Pillows: Crate & Barrel and PB
- Side and Coffee Tables- Handmade by Carl (you can see those here)
- Drapes & Floating Shelves: Ikea
- Curtain Rod: Bed, Bath & Beyond (I'll show you a secret in another post shortly!)
- Mantel & Shelving Accessories- Target, Hobby Lobby, PB, Ikea, Crate & Barrel & Macys
Things left to do:
- Possibly build a sofa table for behind the sectional
- Repaint...a little down the road- same color, maybe a shade darker
- Move the shelves over to make them more centered